Beet Citrus Salad with soft goat cheese
Vegetarian salad, easy to make vegan by swapping the goat cheese for a vegan Brie style cheese
- 3 beets steamed
- 1 grapefruit peeled and sectioned
- 1 orange peeled and sectioned
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- 1 handful of pinenuts
- 1 green onion chopped finely
- 180 grams of soft goat cheese
- ¼ cup maple balsamic dressing
- It's easiest to use pre-steamed beets. These can be purchased but if you'd rather reduce packaging, you can steam raw beets. Place beets in a steamer over a few inches of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Steam for 30 minutes.
- Heat the goat cheese on a baking sheet for 5 minutes on 275F. If using a goat Brie as we did, keep the entire thing intact in the oven.
- Cut steamed beets into wide, thin slices. Place around the perimetre of the salad plates.
- Place a wedge of peeled grapefruit onto a beet slice, followed by a wedge of peeled orange on the next beet slice. Continue around the plate this way. Place the extra wedges of grapefruit and orange around the centre of each plate.
- Remove the heated goat cheese from the oven. If using goat Brie, cut halfway through the middle and pour the melted cheese over each salad. Use all of the cheese. (If using regular soft goat cheese, simply scoop the cheese and drop it into the middle of each plate. An ice cream scooper creates nice, round dollops of cheese.)
- Snip half-inch pieces of green onion and sprinkle them around. Toss the chopped walnuts and pine nuts over the mix.
- Drizzle the maple balsamic dressing over the salad and serve immediately to enjoy the warm cheese.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!