Korean-inspired Beef Bowl with Cucumber Salad.
- 1-2 medium cucumber, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp liquid mirin seasoning
- 2 tsp sesame oil, divided
- 5 tbsp brown or cane sugar, divided
- ¼ cup soy sauce, divided
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds, divided
- ½ tbsp Kanel Sweet Korean Heat spice (and/or crushed red pepper flakes)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound of ground beef
- ¼ tsp ginger, crushed or ground
- 2 cups rice (any)
- 1-2 tbsp kimchi, as desired.
- 1 pinch salt to taste
- Cook the rice according to type
- In a small bowl, whisk together 4 tbs of brown sugar, 10 tsp of soy sauce, ¾ tbsp of sesame oil, and the ginger.
- Heat cooking oil of choice in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly,for about 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes. Make sure to crumble the beef as it cooks. Drain the excess fat.
- Stir in the soy sauce mixture until well combined, allowing it to simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Combine the beef mixture with the rice. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Cucumber Sesame Salad
- Slice cucumbers and place on paper towel to remove some of the moisture
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mirin, sesame seeds, and the remaining sesame oil, sugar, soy sauce. Add the cucumbers. Stir to coat the cucumbers.
- Stir in the Kanel spice and/or crushed red pepper flakes
- Serve with the beef dish and top with desired amount of kimchi