Curry Tofu Rice
- 1 package (454 grams) firm tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp curry powder
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp cayenne powder
- 2 cups sliced white mushrooms
- ½ white onion chopped
- ½ red onion chopped
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 350 ml coconut milk
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups water
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cilantro or parsley for garnish
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ingredients for the tofu marinade: olive oil, ½ tbsp of curry powder, coconut sugar, cayenne, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add tofu cubes and toss with the marinade. Let sit for at least 10 mins. For more flavour, let sit overnight in the fridge.
- When tofu is done marinating, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large pot and place over medium-high heat.
- Once oil is hot, add the tofu and cook for 3-6 minutes until it browns and becomes crisp. Slowly stir the tofu so that it browns on all sides. When the tofu is done browning, transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same large pot, place over medium heat and add ½ tablespoon olive oil, minced garlic, sliced mushrooms, and chopped onion. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in the rice, coconut milk, water, remainder of curry powder (1 tbsp), turmeric, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a light boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 40-45 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes before fluffing rice with a fork.
- Add the tofu mixture and stir gently. Garnish with cilantro or parsley.